Friday, July 12, 2013

I love road trips!

The day I bought my new car
Some of my fondest memories are from road trips. I actually just finished my first road trip in my new car when I went to see my best friend Pam!

I love the open highway, I love the scenery, I love the rest stops at roadside parks and historical markers. 

Apparently I've always loved road trips.  You see my parents tell me that I learned to walk in my dad's big yellow Chevy van WHiLE he was driving down the highway at 80 miles an hour!

My love of road trips didn't diminish as I got older.  You see when you grow up in the middle of no where and the closest movie theater and Wal-Mart are 52 miles away, then you get used to driving a long way for everything. 

It was no big deal for our Jr. High basketball teams to drive 2 and 3 hours for a Tuesday night game.  They weren't all that far away, but several of them were.   

So here are  some of best road trips I remember from my childhood. 

Here are my top three favorite road trips from when I was growing up.  Maybe if you find yourself in that area, you can check it out.



1.  The Drive from McCamey to Paisano Baptist Encampment.... and MARFA! Don't forget the Marfa Lights!


2. The drive from McCamey to Fort Davis! It's the BEST place EVER!  For more information check out this article at Texasbob travels

3. The drive from Houston to Brownwood and Howard Payne University

4 comments:

Peggy said...

I've been on some mighty long road trips...(Biloxi, MA to San Diego, Ca and Alburquerque, NM to Salem, NH are my two longest trips). My favorite stretch of road is the Blue Ridge Highway and A1A in Florida :-)

Happy Travels!

Peggy (stopping by from UBC)

Unknown said...

It's been quite a while since I did a road trip in the car! I've done Nashua NH to Florida and back at least a dozen times and I've done Nashua to State College PA multiple times too because my sister lives there - in fact it's kind of making me feel nostalgic thinking about slowing the pace and doing a road trip - Flying gets me there for less money and time at this point! :-) but there may be some "quality time" and experiences I might be missing out on!

Unknown said...

PS: @Peggy is it Biloxi MS or Biloxi MA - I didn't know there was a Biloxi in MA! :-)

Unknown said...

WOW! I've driven from Houston to Ft. Davis and once I rode in a bus from Brownwood to Los Angeles and then another time from Houston to Georgia, so I've been almost all of I-10 but not as the driver and not to such interesting places. I've got to add those things to my bucket list!